Visit James and Anne Hubbell’s acclaimed home and art studios near Julian, CA.
Walk winding paths and gardens in wonder as you explore the famous Hubbell family home and studios. Experience the world-renowned “Boys’ House” where sunlight pours through stained glass and rivers of mosaic wind throughout. An engaging art and nature experience, our intimate docent-led tour covers the art and architecture of founder and artist James Hubbell amidst the surrounding unspoiled natural beauty of the Santa Ysabel landscape. Be inspired as nature and art truly dance together as one.
We offer small-group docent-led tours on Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays in SPRING, starting April 14th and running through June 17th, 2023. Tours are available again in the FALL from September through November. (Fall tour dates and times will be available soon).
Located on 10 acres of oak woodlands near Julian, California, the Ilan-Lael compound encompasses living quarters, studio and gallery spaces, gardens and a public building for the Ilan-Lael Foundation. Tours are a approximately 90 minutess and limited to small groups to enhance your experience. Enjoy the on-site gallery and gift shop offering Hubbell art, books, hand-crafted artisan items, and more. Ilan-Lael is located just over an hour from San Diego and about 2 1/2 hours from Los Angeles. Driving and parking directions will be emailed upon receipt of the tour purchase.
MAKE A RESERVATION
Admission fees go entirely to support Ilan-Lael Foundation, a 501 (c) (3) non-profit dedicated to preserving the Hubbell property and its legacy of bringing art and nature to the community. We hope to see you there! Reservations are required.
Driving and parking directions will be emailed upon receipt of the tour purchase.
Can’t make a scheduled tour date? Private tours are available for groups of 10 or more. Please call our office for available dates and special group pricing, at 760-765-3427 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
SPRING 2023 Open House Tour Dates
- 10AM & 1PM – Friday April 14th
- 10AM & 1PM – Saturday April 15th
- 10AM & 1PM – Monday April 17th
- 10AM & 1PM – Friday April 28th
- 10AM & 1PM – Saturday April 29th
- 10AM & 1PM – Monday May 1st
- 10AM & 1PM – Friday May 5th
- 10AM & 1PM – Saturday May 6th
- 10AM & 1PM – Monday May 8th
- 10AM & 1PM – Friday May 19th
- 10AM & 1PM – Saturday May 20th
- 10AM & 1PM – Monday May 22nd
- 10AM & 1PM – Friday June 2nd
- 10AM & 1PM – Saturday June 3rd
- 10AM & 1PM – Monday June 5th
- 10AM & 1PM – Monday June 12th
- 10AM & 1PM – Friday June 16th
- 10AM & 1PM – Saturday June 17th
$220 per car admits and includes up to 2 adults
$85 for each additional passengers (Limit 5 passengers per car)
- 10% off in our online and in-person gift shop of books, Hubbell art, and more.
- A “Thank you” gift to serve as a special souvenir of your day with us.
- One year of unlimited streaming access to the Hubbell Online Channel.
Joining us for a tour?
To ensure a pleasant experience, here’s what to expect…
- The terrain on the grounds is uneven with inclines. Sturdy walking shoes are recommended.
- Bring your camera, photography is allowed, and you will want to take pictures!
- Sorry, pets are NOT allowed.
- There is a rest room on the property.
- There is limited seating available on the property.
- This tour is NOT recommended for those who have difficulty walking, or use a walker, cane, or wheelchair.
- There is NO SMOKING anywhere on the property.
- Water and light refreshments are available. For lunch, please visit on of the fine eateries in nearby Wynola or 5 miles down the road in Julian.
- Driving and parking directions will be emailed upon receipt of the tour purchase.
Shopping and food!
We encourage you to visit the many unique shops at Julian Station. There are also have three eateries in Wynola. All are open most days for lunch and dinner, however due to new distancing practices, please check with individual establishments for hours and accessibility before you make plans.
Heroes Woodfired Pizza 4355 Highway 78 (in the Julian Station)
Jeremy’s on the Hill 4354 Highway 78
Mom’s Pie House 2119 Main Street in Julian and 4510 Highway 78 in Wynola
VISITING JULIAN: Historic Julian is a mere five miles further east on Highway 78.
Want to buy Hubbell art?
Some artwork is available for sale at the Ilan-Lael property and new work is also available online at our Hubbell Gallery. Please inquire if you see something of interest. James is also represented by the Santa Ysabel Gallery. Please stop by and ask to see more of James’ work including paintings, pen and ink, sculpture, and stained glass.
Santa Ysabel Gallery (the white cottage at the NE corner of the intersection of Highways 78 and 79 in Santa Ysabel).
30352 Hwy 78, Santa Ysabel, CA 92070